Tuesday, January 6, 2015

On Marriage

A Little Over 1/2 a Year

We are by no means any kind of marriage experts.  I, especially, am learning how to be a wife, how to run a home, how to be married.  The following is my own reflection on our short marriage, and an outlook on what life may have in store for us.  It is not intended to overstep or to give advice to others in some prolific way.  (And I have done so with as much gentleness as I can.  I do not mean for anyone to vomit in their mouths from over-sweetness.)

In Awe

Everyone speaks about Newlywed Bliss, and why is that?  Possibly because right now I still look at my husband and think, "My God, what a wonderful thing You have blessed me with."  I smile when he can't see because he's done something cute with Tiberius, or he's getting into bed, or he's working very hard to keep the house picked up after I've deep cleaned it.  What makes me sad is that most people believe this awe shouldn't doesn't last.  

Why?  I truly believe one secret to being happy is reflecting daily on how blessed you are to have this wonderful person in your life.  The days where you are tempted to say, "You're stupid.  Get away from me" should break your heart when they've not done something truly terrible to earn that disgust. And to not want to talk it out... well, that would make for some very lonely years wasted.  If I plan on spending 80 years with someone, you betcha I'm going to make it known what hurt my feelings, what makes me most joyful, what my dreams are, what my goals are.  And I welcome his sharing, too.  It is the only way to grow together instead of apart.

It is difficult to explain the little jump my heart still makes when the Mister comes home.  All I know is this is happiness, and I will do everything in my power to keep it so.

A Servant's Heart

If I learned anything from my mother (and I learned many things) it was the importance of a Servant's Heart in a marriage.  To give all that you have to another has the possibility to open up doors you never knew existed and encourages unconditional love in your spouse and your children.

My father worked ungodly hours while I was growing up, and normally it consisted of getting up at 4:30 am.  My sister and I would follow at 5:30. (What?  Our hair took FOREVER and looking good in middle/high school is very important!) In high school, my family was blessed to have my mother stay home.  She worked when she wanted, but the work she did at home kept her plenty busy.

She was always up at 4 am.  She was making our breakfasts, then packing our lunches, then running around making sure that all three of us were actually awake. (I had this nasty habit of faking getting up and then falling asleep on the comfy bathroom rug...)

To this day, I do not know if she knows what kind of love that showered the three of us with.  I do know that my father was always talking about how blessed he felt for those lunches.

To look after another human with every fiber of your being with a passion that could rival the sun... I really cannot think of a better blueprint for a happy family.

c Andy Barnheart, Photography
c Chris Parton, Quote from Vows

Resolution

"To continue marriage with a loving, joyful heart."  

The above defines my outlook on what marriage is, and I plan to run after continued awe and a servant's heart with love and joy.
Simply Happy, Incredibly Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment